The Blank Page

I can't believe the blank page actually got to me yesterday when I set up this blog.  That's a first for me...actually not having words, to say or write.  It might be because I'm typing instead of using pen and paper.  I've discussed that whole topic before, I'm searching for it now.  I love searching, researching, discovering, finding.  I think I'd be a great Montessori teacher because of how I think about discovery learning.  Too bad I haven't had the training.  Found it, as a grad student, I wrote this: 
Session Two
08-26-08
Start time

Thinking of the pen or pencil to paper is missing from the keyboard strokes to monitor screen.  I’ve been to a couple of difference “Brain Research” presentations at educational conferences and remember how the scientist report that people born into the “video age” has a different synaptic response to the same stimuli.  One showed a video of 6 people passing a basketball back and forth in a circle.  three people wearing white and three people wearing black.   The presenter asks the audience to count how many times the white team passes the basketball during the 90 second clips.  The intent audience then stares at the screen and begins the count.  At the end of the clip, the presenter asks if any one saw anything to report.  The audience reports how many times the ball was passed.  And then someone asks about the gorilla.  The gorilla?  Yes, in the middle of the video, through the circle, between the ball passing, a 6 foot tall adult dressed in a gorilla costume, walked through the video and most of the audience over 40 didn’t even see it.  In an audience of nearly 300, 4 of us not only saw the gorilla but was still able to report the correct number of passes of the players wearing white. Has the human brain developed or mutated to the ability to relate a simple keystroke and monitor appearance into the feel of ink on tree fiber?  I think not!

End time
Anyway, I actually thought about this new electronic blank page driving to work today again.  Although this was not my first form of written communication, I have decided, "it" will not scare me, stop me, or change me.  I will write about what I feel and think and know and do. And I will enjoy the challenge of placing the words on the paper or possibly even a doodle if I chose or get stuck again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heros